The Asia Convening of the Young Scholars Initiative will take place in Da Nang, Vietnam from 6-9 May, 2019, in collaboration with University of Da Nang. Young Scholars from all over Asia will convene in order to pursue their interest in new economic thinking together and to strengthen the YSI network in Asia.
The YSI Regional Convenings provide a platform for young thinkers across the YSI Working Groups to meet, share ideas, and inspire each other. We now invite you to participate in the Asia Convening by submitting your abstract to our open calls.
The process of urbanization in the Global South presents several challenges for various traditions of economic theory. This call for papers is motivated by the growing interest in the study and theorization of urban processes within the developing world in the field of social sciences. The sessions aim to gather perspectives from different cities of the Global South, mainly but not restricted to the Asian region, examining different dimensions of these processes. We invite submissions on the following and related topics:
- Neoliberalism and urban development
- Interrelations between informality and city space
- Urban governance
- Urban and rural socio-economic relationship
- Rural – urban migration, urban work, refugeeness and belonging
- Urbanization, industrialization, and Special Economic Zones
- Growth of the services sector and spatial reconfiguration
- Technology, its different forms, and (re)structuring of daily life in cities
- Urban sprawl and peripheralization
- Urban inequalities, spatial segregation, and civic life
- Safety, justice and freedom in city spaces
- Slum eviction and rehabilitation
- Emerging environmental concerns in urban spaces
- Changing modalities of urban commons
- Political economy of urban transport
We encourage submissions that seek inter- and trans-disciplinary discussions on one or more of the topics listed above, among other themes.
Submission Criteria: Abstracts must be submitted in English. Make sure to clearly identify the research problem and research question, to elaborate on the methodology, and to list preliminary findings and/or tentative conclusions. Full papers are not required, but can be submitted.
Selection Process: Abstracts will be judged on merit. Selected young scholars will be invited to present their work at the convening.
Travel support: Accommodation as well as partial or full travel support will be available for selected participants traveling from within South Asia, East Asia, or Southeast Asia. Participants traveling from outside the Asian region do not qualify for travel support.
Apply here: https://ysd.ineteconomics.org/rc
Note that you must be logged into the YSI website to apply.
Deadline: 17 March, 2019
Hope to see you in Da Nang!