Dear young scholars,
We have two treats for you this week:
1) Webinar on the role of Fintech in Financial Stability and Financial Inclusion, with Baldeep Singh Namas (MMN), co-organised with URE and IWG — Wed 21st at 9.30 pm CET
2) Webinar on the frontiers of Finance with Dr. Ashby Monk, co-organised with the Innovation WG — Thursday 22nd at 5 pm CET
For more info, see below.
Looking forward to seeing you online!
1) Role of Fintech in Financial Stability and Financial Inclusion (B. Namas)
This webinar will be exploring the role of FinTech in bringing about a new wave of financial inclusion focusing on the blockchain technology and potential drawbacks on financial stability.
Presenter: Baldeep Singh Namas (Modern Money Network).
February 21, 2018 – at 8:30 pm GMT; 9:30 pm CET; 3:30 pm EST
To attend the webinar, follow the link: https://ysd.ineteconomics.org/event/5a720e8b2e35301950a86960
Baldeep is working for a Global Bank as a Retail Funds Lawyer.
This will be the 4th meeting of the webinar series on "Reconciling Financial Stability and Inclusion across space". Financial stability and financial inclusion are often thought of separately by dedicated policy-makers and experts. Yet, they are two sides of the same coin. Furthermore, the solutions found to reconcile both objectives cannot be separated from local and spatial characteristics. The purpose of this webinar series is to discuss the link between financial stability and financial inclusion from a spatial perspective.
This series is jointly organized by YSI Working Groups on Urban and Regional Economics, on Financial Stability and on Inequality.
2) Frontiers of Finance: a conversation with Dr. Ashby Monk
Our webinar will move from Dr. Monk’s early work experience and path through academia, to an exploration of next generation, lower cost approaches to active management for large asset owners.
February 22nd, 2018 at 11 am EST / 5 pm CET
To attend the webinar, please click here: https://ysd.ineteconomics.org/event/5a72453d2e35301950a8696c
You will learn :
- what economic geography brings to standard economics
- how researchers can better work with practitioners (or how to be both!)
- why we should do more research on institutional investors
- how to make public sector work attractive again
- how it is to advise sovereign wealth funds and large pension funds and invest in public equity, private equity, venture capital, and hedge funds
- what it is to launch a startup seeking to improve personal savings in the U.S.
Dr. Monk’s research interests and experiences at the crossroads of academia, financial services and entrepreneurship will change the way you think about allocating capital and what your future career could be.
Dr. Ashby Monk is the Executive and Research Director of the Stanford University Global Projects Center. He is also a Senior Research Associate at the University of Oxford, a Senior Advisor to the Chief Investment Officer of the University of California, and the co-founder of Long Game, a startup focusing on Mobile games that help people save for their future.
His current research interests are the design and governance of institutional investors, with particular specialization on pension and sovereign wealth funds.
He received his Doctorate in Economic Geography at Oxford University and holds a Master's in International Economics from the Universite de Paris I – Pantheon Sorbonne and a Bachelor's in Economics from Princeton University.
This event is co-organised with the Innovation WG.